UN gets Syrian Assurance


Kofi Annan, The UN and Arab League envoy to Syria, has said he has received assurances from Damascus that it will respect the ceasefire plan he has previously proposed.

Mr Annan who has been visiting Iran said there could be “improved conditions on the ground” by Thursday morning. However the Syrian government had previously failed to withdraw troops and weaponry from large population centres as it had agreed. So far at least 100 people have been reported dead. Three people were killed on Wednesday after violent shelling in the city of Homs and the Deraa province.

Mr Annan told reporters in Tehran that he had received “further clarifications” from the government of President Bashar al-Assad on how it intended to suspend hostilities, and respect his six-point peace plan.

Mr Annan said “We have been in touch with them and have had positive answers from them and have also approached governments with influence to ensure that all parties respect the ceasefire”

12 comments

Feel free to leave a reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.